FOND FAREWELLS

Dear Friends,
In the four months since we have left Alotau, I've seen really exciting and thought-provoking pieces appearing under our fellows' bylines. I was lucky enough to see a few of you in Fiji, and I am always so happy when I see your names pop up in my email inbox.
This blog was an experiment, and I am very pleased with how it went. I hope my successor can pick it up (or perhaps one of you will?) and help it grow.
As you all know, I am moving to a new position with COMPASS, where I will be the new assistant director of science outreach. My contact information is not changing for now, and I hope you will each continue to include me in your lives and your work.
I wish you all the best,
Sincerely,
Liz

08 January, 2008

New Year, New Focus

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!!

I hope that you are each returning from your holidays refreshed and ready to plunge into 2008. As you can see from the blog headers, we have a new focus topic for the month of January - corals!

If you remember your trivia, you already know that corals are animals, and that there are roughly 5000 species, though only some of them form reefs. You also know how critically important corals are to the ocean ecosystem and to the people of our island nations.

But did you know that not all corals are found in clear, tropical waters? In fact, more than 2 out of every 3 known species of corals are found in the cold, dark depths of the ocean. Some are found as deep as 4500+ meters below the surface!

All corals, shallow and deep, are facing unprecedented threats from overfishing, climate change, pollution, and habitat destruction. I hope you enjoy joining the discussions this month that focus on why we need to act now, and how we can change our ways to save these precious resources.

No comments: