Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
July 7 to 11, 2008
Applications Due March 7, 2008
Open to reporters, editors, science writers and freelance journalists in print, broadcast and online media.
SeaWeb, a global, non-profit organization, is offering travel scholarships for media to attend the world’s preeminent summit on coral reef science and management. At this year’s International Coral Reef Symposium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from July 7 to 11, the media will have access to leading ocean experts from around the world and to press briefings on the latest scientific findings, as well as a field trip to see firsthand the threats to coral reefs.
About the Symposium:
Held only once every four years, the International Coral Reef Symposium will host more than 2,500 international scientists, policy makers, managers and conservationists. This year’s symposium occurs during the 2008 International Year of the Reef. Key focuses of the symposium include the challenges that climate change, overfishing and pollution pose to coral reefs. Symposium sessions will be held in a question-driven format, with reports and breaking news on:
- The emerging link between ocean acidification and coral reef health
- Diseases killing coral reefs around the world
- Recovery of coral reef ecosystems following bleaching episodes
- Effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)
For detail about the application procedure, follow the "Read More" link
About the Application Process:
Scholarship applications should be submitted to SeaWeb by Friday, March 7, 2008 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A limited number of scholarships are available to media from North America, the Caribbean, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and the Pacific Islands. The scholarships, which will be applied to travel and/or accommodation expenses, will be based on need, point of origin and the ability of the media organization to help defray costs. Interviews may be conducted to obtain additional information following application. Scholarship recipients will be announced by early April 2008.
To apply, please submit the following (not to exceed three pages):
- Brief CV or bio, including concise descriptions of key coverage as it relates to coral reefs, oceans, science or the environment.
- Three clips or samples of coverage, especially any pieces relevant to this issue.
- Freelancers should include a list of outlets that routinely publish your articles and provide contact information or letters of interest from two outlets that are interested in news from the symposium.
- List of coral reefs issues are of interest to you.
- Description (not to exceed one page) of why you would like to attend the symposium, how your coverage would benefit, story angles you would like to pursue, and details on your media outlet and audience.