FOND FAREWELLS

Dear Friends,
In the four months since we have left Alotau, I've seen really exciting and thought-provoking pieces appearing under our fellows' bylines. I was lucky enough to see a few of you in Fiji, and I am always so happy when I see your names pop up in my email inbox.
This blog was an experiment, and I am very pleased with how it went. I hope my successor can pick it up (or perhaps one of you will?) and help it grow.
As you all know, I am moving to a new position with COMPASS, where I will be the new assistant director of science outreach. My contact information is not changing for now, and I hope you will each continue to include me in your lives and your work.
I wish you all the best,
Sincerely,
Liz

11 December, 2007

Watching Bali with that sinking feeling

THE VIEW FROM SUVA

For years, scientists and environmental activists have been talking about the consequences of climate change and in particular sea-level rise – an issue that touches all of our lives in the Pacific.

Observing the global climate change conference from Suva can be a bit puzzling, especially if you stop by the official website.

Which was why I was somewhat wary of an article on Fiji Times Online titled “Victory at Bali for vulnerable nations” today. The article quoted a statement from the International Institute for Environment and Development which said years of tense climate-change talks ended with a “victory for the most vulnerable countries, which won a key decision at the UN conference in Bali.

But in an online search, no other stories of the “victory” for vulnerable states were readily apparent.

Another thing that raised my curiosity about the article was a somewhat different story I’m hearing from Bali.

The scepticism within the NGO community about whether any real gains will be achieved is understandable.

One of my NGO contacts in Bali sounded desperate in an email about “what is going down here.”

“It is going so bad and our island nations are going under because the big economic players don’t care and in part, some our (Pacific Islands Countries’) delegates have not been at meetings where they could really be effective in making our voices heard.”

So there you have it: The international economic powers ignore our concerns while our own leaders can’t get their act together and demand real change on the issue of climate change.

Sure there have been numerous gains – such as Fiji making a huge portion of its ocean zone a marine protected areas.

New reports are emerging about more victims of climate change or environmental refugees: Tuvalu, Kiribati and the Carteret Islands off the coast of PNG are living examples of the greater catastrophe that looms.

Overall you can’t help getting that sinking feeling.

2 comments:

WWG said...

Hi, :) Good blog
Look from Quebec Canada
http://www.wwg1.com

WWG :)

Anonymous said...

i agree whole heartedly with Ricardo about our officials (delegates) that go to these meetings - not only because they only pick up the perdiems and not attend meetings but they also dont know the issues and the impact on their nations and their peoples. from experience, some Pacific countries send delegates who literally 'have no clue' on the issue but allowed to travel to fill in the quota, so to speak, for their countries.