FOND FAREWELLS

Dear Friends,
In the four months since we have left Alotau, I've seen really exciting and thought-provoking pieces appearing under our fellows' bylines. I was lucky enough to see a few of you in Fiji, and I am always so happy when I see your names pop up in my email inbox.
This blog was an experiment, and I am very pleased with how it went. I hope my successor can pick it up (or perhaps one of you will?) and help it grow.
As you all know, I am moving to a new position with COMPASS, where I will be the new assistant director of science outreach. My contact information is not changing for now, and I hope you will each continue to include me in your lives and your work.
I wish you all the best,
Sincerely,
Liz

26 November, 2007

Witness to Climate Change

One of the challenges of telling climate change stories is that they often seem too abstract and too big to manage. But these issues affect us all, especially small island states in the Pacific.
WWF has a program called Climate Witness that helps real people talk about how our rising sea level and changing climate are affecting them personally. If you haven't seen these yet, I encourage you to browse and read them.

Climate Witness: Ben Namakin, Kiribati and Micronesia
My name is Ben Namakin. I am originally from Kiribati, but I currently live in Pohnpei (formerly known as Ponape) in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). I work as an environmental educator for the Conservation Society of Pohnpei
(CSP), the only local environment non-government organisation on the island... During my childhood days in Kiribati, we never experienced severe sea flooding. There were storms, but they weren’t that bad. As the sea levels continue to rise in Kiribati, several king tides hit the island. Saltwater intrusion affects the quality of water in wells, floods taro patches, gardens, and puts stress on plants/trees which are very important to the life and culture of an I-Kiribati. Read more about Ben here

No comments: